Steel Forging is a metal forming process working by using a series of forging equipments. Comparing with steel casting, the use of steel forging will refine grain structure, reduce the waste of raw material,avoid complex machining operations and improve the strength of products.
Steel forging is a fuzzy concept referring forging technology in steel. We can define steel forging in different forging processes: Open die steel forging and closed die steel forging. Open die steel forging means steel forging parts made by open die forging, which is more applicated in large steel parts. However, for small precision parts,closed die forging is the right option.
The closed die forging process uses a tool that forms a complete (or mostly complete) seal around the workpiece. The workpiece is thus forced to take the shape of the die. Closed die forging can sometimes also be referred to as impression die forging.
To elaborate, open die forging uses flat plates or simple shapes that may or may not match the desired shape of the piece. In closed die forging, two or more tools that each must contain the shape desired on the outside of the workpiece are brought together.
In open vs. closed die forging, closed die forging has several advantages:
- Closed die forging can be used to form any number of materials, including aluminum, titanium, steel, and alloys.
- Closed die forging can be used to form smaller pieces.
- Closed die forging can create complex shapes impossible on an open die press.
- Closed die forging can create parts with precision, which will reduce the time spent on precision machining.
- Closed die forging often requires less human interaction in the forging process, which reduces the chance of error and injury.
LONGYAN CHANGTONG MACHINERY EQUIPMENT CO., LTD
Page Copyright 2021 LONGYAN CHANGTONG MACHINERY EQUIPMENT CO., LTD. All rights reserved. 闽ICP备17001320号 Power by 300.cn